When A Death Occurs
Your O.R. Woodyard funeral director will assist your family with any and all of the items listed and many others at the arrangement conference. And we will help coordinate arrangements with the cemetery. You can assist us in this by compiling required information prior to the arrangement conference:
- Some information to complete the State vital statistic requirements:
- Birth Date
- Father's Name
- Mother's Name
- Social Security Number
- Veteran's Discharge or Claim Number
- Marital Status
- Gather obituary information including age, place of birth, cause of death, occupation, college degrees, memberships held, military service, outstanding work, list of survivors in immediate family, and provide time and place of services. The funeral home will assist you in writing the article, during your family conference; and submit to newspapers (newspaper will accept picture and they will be returned intact)
Other details you may wish to deal with include those below. However, remember that many of these can be attended to during the arrangement conference, and the days prior to the funeral. Naturally, we can assist you with most of these matters, should you require it.
- Contacting your clergy. Discuss possible time and place of funeral or memorial service.
- Decide on appropriate memorial to which gifts may be made (church, hospice, library, charity or school).
- Consider special need of the household, such as cleaning, etc., which might be done by friends.
- Arrange hospitality for visiting relatives and friends.
- Locate the will and notify lawyer and executor.
- Check carefully all life and casualty insurance and death benefits, including Social Security, credit union, trade union, fraternal, and military. Check also on income for survivors from these sources.
- Check promptly on all debts and installment payments, including credit cards. Some may carry insurance clauses that will cancel them. If there is to be a delay in meeting payments, consult with creditors and ask for more time before the payments are due.