Federal Agencies

We are privileged to serve our families, and strive to do so completely. While we are pleased to completed paperwork on the behalf of our families, we also know that many choose to deal with government agencies on their own. Here are the links to those most-commonly requested by our clients, as well as common questions we hear.

Social Security

Who is entitled to receive the monthly Social Security benefits?

  • A widow/widower age 60 or older (50 if disabled), or at any age if caring for an entitled child who is under 16 or disabled.
  • A divorced widow/widower age 60 or older (50 if disabled) if the marriage lasted 10 years, or if caring for an entitled child who is under 16 or disabled.
  • Unmarried children up to 18 (19 if they are attending a primary or secondary school full time).
  • Children who were disabled before reaching 22, as long as they remained disabled.
  • Dependent parent or parents 62 or older

What Social Security benefits are available?

If you are one of the above people and the deceased worker has met the time requirements to receive benefits you may be eligible for a single death benefit payment of $255.

For more information, see the Social Security Administration website.

Veterans Administration

Will the VA pay for the funeral?

Not always, you must be eligible which requires that you paid for a veteran's burial or funeral AND you have not been reimbursed by another government agency or some other source AND the veteran was discharged under conditions other than dishonorable AND ONE OF THE FOLLOWING:

  • the veteran died because of a service-related disability; OR
  • the veteran was receiving VA pension or compensation at the time of death; OR
  • the veteran was entitled to receive VA pension or compensation but decided not to reduce his/her military retirement or disability pay; OR
  • the veteran died in a VA healthcare facility, or while in an approved state nursing home.

How much will the VA pay?

  • Service-Related Death: The VA will pay up to $1,500 toward burial expenses for deaths prior to September 10, 2001. For deaths on or after September 11, 2001, VA will pay $2,000. If the veteran is buried in a VA national cemetery, some or all of the cost of moving the deceased may be reimbursed.
  • Non-service-Related Death: VA will pay up to $300 toward burial and funeral expenses, and a $150 plot interment allowance for deaths prior to December 1, 2001. The plot-interment allowance is $300 for deaths on or after December 1, 2001. If the death happened while the veteran was in a VA hospital or under contracted nursing home care, some of all of the costs for transporting the deceased's remains may be reimbursed.

For more detailed information, see the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs website.